Thursday, May 10, 2012

Today in class, we discussed how family systems change when major life events occur.  This discussion made me think about my family and when and how roles have changed.  Roles changed when my mom had a surgery on her wrist.  I remember having to step up and take on some of the responsibilities that had always been my mom’s.  It was hard on me and my sisters emotionally.  We were all glad when my mom got feeling better and life went back to normal.  Then, life and family roles changed again when I left to go to college.  Before I left to go to school, I was the babysitter almost every Friday night while my parents went out on a date.  When I went to school, my other siblings had to step up and fill in this roll.  They also had to do chores that I used to complete.  I remember coming home when the semester was over and my sisters being so angry because I was living at home again, but didn’t have chores listed on the chore chart.  Now, I am married and will play even less of a role in my family back home.  But, despite the changes, I will work hard to stay close to them because I love them!

No comments:

Post a Comment